The Black Forest Cake, with its layers of rich chocolate cake, luscious whipped cream, and tart cherries, has been a beloved dessert for generations. In this recipe, we put a healthier spin on this classic favorite by making it eggless and using whole wheat flour, so you can indulge in guilt-free enjoyment without compromising on flavor. Follow along as we guide you through the process of creating a scrumptious Eggless Whole Wheat Black Forest Cake.
For the Chocolate Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water
For the Cherry Filling:
- 2 cups pitted and chopped cherries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
For the Whipped Cream Frosting:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Maraschino cherries (for garnish)
Preparing the Chocolate Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Gradually add the hot water to the batter while stirring. The batter will be thin, but that’s perfectly normal.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Preparing the Cherry Filling:
- In a saucepan, combine the chopped cherries, granulated sugar, and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with water to make a slurry. Stir this slurry into the simmering cherry mixture and cook until it thickens. Remove from heat and let it cool completely.
Preparing the Whipped Cream Frosting:
- In a chilled mixing bowl, whip the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to overwhip.
Assembling the Eggless Whole Wheat Black Forest Cake:
- Once the cakes have cooled, slice each cake horizontally to create a total of four cake layers.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread a layer of whipped cream over it, followed by a layer of the cherry filling.
- Repeat this process with the remaining cake layers, reserving some cherry filling for the top.
- Frost the entire cake with the remaining whipped cream. Create decorative swirls on top using a piping bag and tip, if desired.
- Decorate the cake with dark chocolate shavings and maraschino cherries.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least an hour before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
This Eggless Black Forest Cake made with whole wheat flour offers a healthier take on the classic dessert without sacrificing any of its delectable qualities. The rich chocolate cake, tart cherry filling, and airy whipped cream frosting come together in a symphony of flavors and textures that’s sure to satisfy your sweet cravings. So, why wait for a special occasion? Try this recipe today and treat yourself to a slice of wholesome indulgence.