Dahi Vada, also known as Dahi Bhalla, is a beloved and iconic North Indian snack that never fails to delight the taste buds. This dish is a perfect blend of textures and flavors – soft lentil dumplings soaked in creamy yogurt, topped with a medley of spices and chutneys. Whether you’re enjoying it as a snack or as part of a larger meal, Dahi Vada is a crowd-pleaser that has stood the test of time. In this article, we’ll take you through the steps to create an authentic Dahi Vada recipe in the comfort of your own kitchen.
For the Vada:
- 1 cup urad dal (black gram lentils)
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger, grated
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Oil for frying
For the Yogurt (Dahi) Mixture:
- 2 cups thick yogurt
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
For the Toppings:
- Tamarind chutney
- Green chutney (coriander and mint)
- Roasted cumin powder
- Red chili powder
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Sev (crispy chickpea flour noodles)
- Preparing the Lentil Batter:
- Wash and soak the urad dal in enough water for 4-6 hours, or overnight. Drain the water.
- Blend the soaked dal in a food processor or blender with minimal water, until you achieve a smooth and fluffy batter.
- Add chopped green chilies, grated ginger, asafoetida, and salt to the batter. Mix well.
- Frying the Vadas:
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Wet your fingers and take a small portion of the batter. Flatten it slightly and gently slide it into the hot oil.
- Fry the vadas until they turn golden brown and crispy on the outside. Ensure they are cooked evenly on all sides.
- Remove the vadas and drain excess oil on a paper towel.
- Soaking the Vadas:
- While the vadas are still warm, soak them in lukewarm water for about 20-30 minutes. This helps in making them soft and spongy.
- Prepping the Yogurt Mixture:
- Whisk the thick yogurt in a bowl until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Add roasted cumin powder, red chili powder, salt, and a pinch of sugar to taste. Mix well.
- Assembling the Dahi Vadas:
- Squeeze out excess water from the soaked vadas and place them in a serving dish.
- Pour the prepared yogurt mixture generously over the vadas, ensuring they are well-covered.
- Toppings and Garnishes:
- Drizzle tamarind chutney and green chutney over the dahi vadas.
- Sprinkle roasted cumin powder and red chili powder for added flavor.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and a generous amount of sev.
- Chilling and Serving:
- Refrigerate the Dahi Vadas for at least an hour before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together and makes them more refreshing.
- Serve chilled and enjoy the delightful taste of North India!
Dahi Vada is a quintessential North Indian recipe that combines the richness of yogurt with the spicy and tangy flavors of chutneys, creating a delightful contrast with the soft and savory lentil dumplings. It’s a dish that offers a burst of flavors and textures in every bite. With the authentic recipe outlined above, you can recreate this classic Indian snack in your own kitchen and savor the true essence of North Indian cuisine. So, gather your ingredients, roll up your sleeves, and indulge in the deliciousness of homemade Dahi Vada!